Thursday, February 26, 2015

How to Type!









Ever since I started helping people with computers, both in Martinsburg and Rockville, I have had the question, “Treena, how do you type so quickly?”

In all honesty, I don’t think I type quickly at all with a 50 words a minute average that is slowed from being unused to the computer lab keyboards. This is especially in comparison to my grandmother who was a professional secretary once upon a time and could type an average of 65 words a minute on an old stiff typewriter with high keys and somehow keep a perfect manicure apparently.

While I can’t teach you to be the “Do it all” perfectionist my grandmother is, I can give a few tricks of the trade to increase typing speed.

First, the pointer fingers are positioned in resting position at “F” and “J”

Second, the thumbs should be above the “space bar”, but normally only the thumb of the dominant hand is used.

Third, between words, fingers should hover above the keys instead of resting on them; this will decrease mistakes from “heavy handedness.”


Lastly, if imputing in an abundance of numbers, make sure the numb lock is ON for the right hand number pad. It’s significantly quicker to type into than the row of numbers at the top. 



No comments:

Post a Comment