Sunday, March 8, 2015

What's new--Harold the Bear--March 8, 2015

Harold the Library Bear celebrates K9 Veterans Day





Hedgesville, WV – Today I found Harold the Library Bear surrounded by books about dogs. When I asked him why he was reading so many, Harold shared this interesting story:

“I’m reading about these dogs because March 13th is K9 Veterans Day,” he said, “The librarian told me that a veteran is someone who serves in the military, so I thought it would be a great time to read all of the books in the Hedgesville Library about  veteran dogs!”

“This is the one I just finished reading,” Harold said, pulling a book from his pile and proudly holding it up. “It’s called Gabe: The Dog Who Sniffs Out Danger,” he said. “It’s all about Gabe, a dog that goes to another country and uses his really good smelling to help soldiers find dangerous things that they can’t smell!”

“Do you know what the coolest thing about this book is?” Harold asked.

“This book is a true story, because Gabe was a real dog! In fact, he was so good at his job that he won an award called the Hero Dog Award!”

“I think this one is my favorite dog story so far,” Harold said, “but I still have lots more to read! 

There a book about Sadie, a real life police dog, and a book about search and rescue dogs too!”

“Of course, there are also a bunch of Paw Patrol books here in the library,” Harold added, “They aren’t true stories, like Gabe’s story, but they’re a lot of fun to read anyway! I think Chase is my favorite, but Marshall is funny! He always runs into the other pups!”

“Can I tell you a secret?” Harold asked with a whisper,” the librarian told me that this summer there will be lots of stories about heroes, including hero dogs! But don’t tell anyone yet!”


-Harold the Library Bear is a bear, so he doesn’t have a phone, but you can leave him a message at (304)-754-3949 or you can meet him Monday-Saturday in the Children’s Department of the new Hedgesville Public Library. His column appears every week on the Martinsburg-Berkeley County Public Libraries blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment