Friday, May 8, 2015

Jane Levitan's farewell blog

Farewell, BLOG


Saying goodbye has never been my strong suit.  I prefer to fade-away quietly, but perhaps this farewell will be different.  It is true; I am leaving the Martinsburg Library, stepping away from my position of Youth Services Director.  The job has been more than a job, a way of life filled with joy and challenge.
  I’ve learned quite a bit in the past years including:  NEVER to believe that llamas are housebroken, that green glitter glue will fly through the air like a heat-seeking missile and find the woman with the blondest hair in the room, that 3 inch long Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches will not necessarily respect the petroleum jelly barrier on the walls of their enclosures as advertised, that young guinea fowl can leap to great heights before their adult feathers have appeared and so much more.  Learning about the workings of libraries at the local, state and national levels, I have made some true friends along the way.  I’ve found that you can never judge a book by its cover in library science or dealing with the public. There are surprises with both, most very rewarding.  What an experience to serve patrons from Myanmar, Ivory Coast, Iraq and Guiana to name a few of the less-known countries.
It has been a privilege to compete for grants (some success), craft reading programs and school classes as well as select items for our collection. It has also been an honor to represent you at local, state and national legislative days and at conferences. Equal in importance has been the day to day contact with patrons young and old.  Whether chatting with a baby about her kitty shoes, or encouraging an eighty year old to explore a visiting ocean display, each conversation has been unique and mostly fun and interesting. 
Thank you for your trust, support, friendship, and in some cases, love.  I’ll never forget this experience as I continue my journey wherever it might take me. 
Fondly,
Jane Levitan

Youth Services Director (now retired)

No comments:

Post a Comment