Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Neil Patrick Harris--book review

In Neil Patrick Harris' _Choose Your Own Autobiography_, you are the star.
YOU are Neil Patrick Harris, and you decide how your life will go. Will you, NPH, host the Tonys four times? Will you spend your life serving sandwiches at Schlotsky's?  Will you star in Cabaret, Company, and How I Met Your Mother? The choice is yours!

As a preface, Harris notes that he was always enamored of Choose Your Own Adventure books, so he chose the format for his autobiography. I cannot claim to share his love of the format; as a child, I tended to steer clear of Choose Your Own Adventure because I worried I was missing something.
Being a fan of Neil Patrick Harris, though, I wanted to read this despite the page-flipping. I played along with the CYOA format for awhile, until I reached "The End" about three times, then went back and read sequentially.
Nothing is lost in either approach. Readers who want to just read it straight through should have no trouble; it's pretty easy to tell when you're on a chapter that didn't really happen (spoiler alert: Neil Patrick Harris has not actually died yet).

As I've mentioned before on our blog, I love celebrity autobiographies, and this one was no exception. I enjoy watching Neil Patrick Harris--I particularly love him as a Tonys host, and I was glad How I Met Your Mother didn't overshadow his stage career in this book--but I didn't know much about his life. This autobiography is candid but not graphic, and, in a refreshing change from many celebrity memoirs, free of angst; instead, Harris is plainly grateful for the many privileges and pleasures life has brought his way. Whatever pages you flip once you get it open, reading this book is definitely an adventure worth choosing.
--
Hannah Wilkes

Musselman-South Berkeley Community Library

No comments:

Post a Comment