Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Harold the Library Bear talks about Spring

Harold the Library Bear was recently found in a garden celebrating the arrival of spring with the other animals. He was sharing a story about his youth with a hummingbird and a butterfly.

"I love being the Library Bear," he told them. "I have my own chair, lots of great books to read, and the staff at Naylor Memorial Library even lets me stay there overnight in the winter!"

"But let me tell you a story," Harold continued. "Before I was the Library Bear, I used to live in the woods, and I would sleep for the entire winter! And let me tell you, after a five month nap it can be hard to wake up. Sometimes my mom couldn't wake me up until April when I was supposed to be awake by March! It made me late for everything!

"But one day while we were at the library, my mom found a book called Spring is Here by Will Hillenbrand. She knew I'd like it because it had a picture of a bear on the cover, and I like stories about bears. Who doesn't?" Harold asked, looking toward the hummingbird.

"And she was right. The story is great!" he exclaimed. "It's a story about Bear and his friend Mole, and how Mole tries lots of different ways to tell Bear that spring has arrived. But Bear stays asleep! I really liked the big, colorful pictures of Bear, and there weren't a lot of words on every page, so even kids that are just learning to read will enjoy this book.

"The best part, though, was that by the end of the story, my mom learned the secret way to make sure I woke up on time every spring! She just did what Mole did to wake up Bear. It really works too. She used it every spring before I moved to the library."

Hummingbird asked about the secret, and Harold smiled, leaned in, and whispered, "You'll just have to read the book. And so should everyone else!"

Harold the Library Bear is a bear, so he doesn't have a phone, but you can send him a message by calling the staff of Naylor Memorial Library at 304-754-3949 or emailing them at hedgesville.mbcpl@martin.lib.wv.us.

No comments:

Post a Comment